September 7, 2017
Laburnum will have an alternate specialist timetable for the next two weeks. All Year 3 teachers will be in a planning meeting on Wednesday 13th September, 2017. Specialist classes will run throughout this day in order to relieve the classroom teachers and ensure each child meets their specialist class requirements.
September 1, 2017
We have just started to learn about length and capacity. Check out these great snaps from our work this week! Stay tuned for homework on Tuesday 5/9/2017 where length and capacity will be a feature.
August 30, 2017
The Year 3 students at Laburnum Primary School are getting ready to put on their lab coats and delve into their Physical and Chemical Science unit, ‘What’s the Matter?’ In the coming weeks, students will learn about states of matter and how solids and liquids change their state by adding or removing heat. They will also investigate how heat can be produced and moves from one object to another.
Whilst learning the content through exciting experiments and observations, our Year 3 scientists will be developing their Science inquiry skills. These include:
- Questioning and Predicting by identifying what they want to find out and using prior knowledge to help form their hypothesis.
- Planning and Conducting experiments and tests, with consideration for fair testing and safe use of materials and equipment.
- Recording and Processing information collected from experiments and observations, and deciding on how to best present this data.
- Analysing and Evaluating results by comparing the predicted and actual outcomes, and suggesting possible reasons for these findings.
- Communicating scientific knowledge and findings with other students, and making connections with similar investigations.
At home, you may want to talk about different states of matter in your kitchen and discuss how they change their form by adding or removing heat. This could be melting and freezing ice, boiling water or melting chocolate on the stove. How many others can you find in your home?
August 23, 2017
Just a reminder that tomorrow is the Year 3 packaging expo from 2:45pm until 3:30pm in the Year 3 classrooms.
The students have been working hard on their packaging designs and are looking forward to seeing as many parents as possible to show them their creative pieces!
August 23, 2017
August 17, 2017
Last night, School Council ratified a number of school policies, including the updated SunSmart policy. This recognises that UV reaches 3, which signals the need for sun protection, at around mid-August and continues through to April.
All students at LPS are asked to bring their hat from the start of next week.
August 8, 2017
August 7, 2017
Here are some events to add to your calendar:
- Friday 11 August: STARS (no assembly)
- Monday 14th August: Curriculum Day
- Tuesday 15th August: UNSW Testing 7:45 (optional, see the newsletter for more information)
- Wednesday 16th August: Woolworths excursion
- Thursday 17th August: Athletics Day
- Wednesday 23rd: Leigh Hobbs incursion
- Saturday August 26th: Year 3 & 4 Working Bee
- Thursday 24th August: Packaging Expo 2:45-3:30om
- Friday 25th August: Book Week dress up
- Thursday 7th September: Gala Night
August 2, 2017
This week, as part of our inquiry unit ‘How does food get to my plate?’, the year 3 students are looking at various types of packaging from processed foods and analysing the effectiveness of the packaging in terms of colour, size, sustainability and design.
In the coming weeks the students will begin to plan, design and produce their own sustainable packing. Watch this space!
July 27, 2017
This Thursday 27th July, Family Life will be holding 3 sessions for adults and children at LPS. You are encouraged to attend the informative family evenings by bookings through Try booking.
Please see the current Laburnum newsletter for more information.
Newsletter 21 20 JUL 2017-1n2hloh